Thursday, June 11, 2020



GOD’S WISDOM AS I UNDERSTAND IT

Bored out of my wits this past Saturday, I went to the kitchen, turned the TV on to channel 18, and started to look for something to cook or clean. The black & white program caught my attention—and held it!

A handsome young man played a piano and sang songs he wrote, both words and music, to a room full of a young audience. The extremely witty and satirical songs referenced the political and social tribulations of the world in the sixties and seventies. I realized that all of those tribulations are still going strong and expanding today.

As the audience cheered, I hurried to scribble the singer’s name: Tom Lehrer.

I decided to research Mr. Lehrer’s biography the next day.

The following morning was time to zoom with my “Walking Group”, no longer walking together due to the corona virus pandemic, but zooming instead to comfort and support each other. And since I didn’t have time to conduct my research about Mr. Lehrer, I asked the group about him.

One volunteered to let me know that my information is out-of-date. “He is dead,” she said.

I lived in and out of the States in the sixties and seventies. Did he live and die while I was living abroad?

Mr. Lehrer IS ninety, and is still alive and well. I felt a surge in my faith in God and his ultimate wisdom. His best creation twinkles longer. Call it the law of natural selection, if you want. Sure, some outstanding humans die young to offset the rule. Exceptions are God’s mercy on us, talented and not, to keep us blissfully hopeful for a long life--until we die!

1 comment:

  1. Salam dear Mahassen, I love your blog! Keep writing and sharing your perspectives with the world.
    blessings,
    Zainib

    ReplyDelete